Standing up on your pedals, trying to balance your bike against the metal gate at the top of the hill looking out over the track. The loud speaker blares “Ready at the gate, watch the lights”. The lights go from red to green, the metal gate falls down and everyone tries to get the inside lane at the first turn. Those are some of the great memories that kids will look back fondly on years later as an adult. The BMX track at McQueen and Pecos has been around for ever it seems, more than 30 years for sure. Many bike shops have come and gone but the BMX track lives on.
If your looking for an alternative to the normal soccer, baseball and basketball activities for you kids we strongly recommend check out BMX racing. Its safe, fun, exciting and kids love bringing home a trophy when they win.
BMX racing is not only fun for the kids, but also for a lot of the parents and other adults who support this challenging,
At Chandler BMX race track, kids can start pretty much as early as they are able to ride a bike good enough to get around the BMX race track.
How to get started BMX racing
- The BMX Bike, the bike is usually a 20″ “street”, the reflectors, kick stand and usually the chain guard need to be removed. Make sure everything is tight and in good working order.
- Helmet, full faced helmets are a must, keep the head safe. Most tracks will have a couple of loaner helmets for your first times at the track before you get hooked and go buy your own.
- Long sleeve shirt and pants, jeans and long sleeve cotton shirt are a minimum. Having padded bmx pants, shirt with elbow pads are all very nice and make a fall hurt less but are not required.
- Shoes and gloves, most tennis shoes that kids wear these days are fine, vans, sketchers or ones made for skateboarding are great. A cheap pair of mt. biking gloves are an easy way to make sure that hands are protected when you take that first wreck. (Chandler BMX Rule – All riders under 18 years old must wear gloves when riding the track)
- The ABA membership and number plate (American Bicycle Association) offer very inexpensive trial memberships, so you can see if you like BMX or not before you go full-bore with it.
Racing bikes on a BMX race track promotes individual achievement. Knowing that you can accomplish something on your own is an outlook that leads to success the rest of a kids life. Racing BMX bikes also promotes fitness, exercise, mental stimulation, and is about being outdoors with family or friends, and learning something new about a sport.
Chandler BMX race track
900 East Frye Road